Genetics & Evolution
The Department has expertise in genetics and evolutionary biology, all of which inform our teaching and research training from undergraduate, through Honours/Masters, to PhD.
2017 Genetics & Evolution Honours handbook is now available to download.
We provide a unique research environment in Genetics & Evolution.
Our graduates are in demand in a wide range of areas including:
- evolution of flora and fauna
- ancient and forensic DNA analysis
- molecular mechanisms of gene expression and evolution
The School maintains a wide range of equipment and facilities including state of the art DNA laboratories, and animal models such as a Drosophila facility. We are also partners in major collaborative initiatives such as the:
- Child Health Research Institute
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Evolutionary Biology Unit of the SA Museum
- Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH)
- The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH)
- University of South Australia
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital
As one of the Departments in the new School of Biological Sciences, we have access to an exciting and world class range of experts in our collaborating Departments within the School as well as elsewhere in the University, and share access to each other’s state of the art facilities.