Director, Adelaide Proteomics Centre
Room 1.49, Molecular Life Sciences building
Tel: +61-8-831 35507
Mobile: 0434 079108
|1995||Master’s degree (Diplom) in Chemistry, Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany|
|1995-99||PhD-thesis Department of Inorganic-, Analytical chemistry and Radio chemistry, Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany|
|1999-01||Post doctoral Fellow, Ludwig Institute For Cancer Research & The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Joint Proteomics Laboratory, Melbourne, Australia|
|2001-03||Head of the Proteomics Unit, St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne|
|2003-05||Post doctoral Fellow, Center for Biotechnology and Biomedicine, Bio-analytic group, University Leipzig, Germany|
|2005-||Director, Adelaide Proteomics Centre, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, The University of Adelaide|
|2012-||Associate Professor, Director Adelaide Proteomics Centre, Deputy Director Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing (IPAS), School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, University of Adelaide|
1. Fung, K.Y.C., T. Lewanowitsch, S. Henderson, I. Priebe, P. Hoffmann, T Lockett, R. Head and Cosgrove L. Proteomic analysis of butyrate effects and loss of butyrate sensitivity in HT29 colorectal cancer cells. Journal of Proteome Research, 2009, 8 (3), pp 1220–1227 ( I 5.7)
2. Emma F. Barry, Fernando A. Felquer, Jason A. Powell, Lisa Biggs, Frank C. Stomski, Andrea Urbani, Peter Hoffmann, Matthew C. Wilce, Michele A. Grimbaldeston, Angel F. Lopez and Mark A. Guthridge. 14-3-3:SHC scaffolds integrate phosphoserine and phosphotyrosine signalling to regulate PI 3-kinase activation and cell survival. J. Biol. Chem. 2009, May 1;284(18):12080-90 (I 5.8)
3. Penno M.A.S., Bacic A., Colegate S.M., Hoffmann P. and Michalski W.P. Identifying Candidate Serum Biomarkers of Exposure to Tunicamycins in Rats Using Two-Dimensional Electrophoresis. Journal of Proteome Research, 2009,8 (6), 2812-26 ( I 5.7)
4. Mark. R. Condina, Mark A. Guthridge, Shaun R. McColl, Peter Hoffmann. A Sensitive Magnetic Bead Approach for the Detection and Identification of Tyrosine Phosphorylation in proteins by MALDI- TOF/TOF mass spectrometry. Proteomics 2009, 9, 3047-3057 ( I 5.5)
5. Hayley J. Andreazza, Tianfang Wang, Daniel Bilusich, Peter Hoffmann and John H. Bowie. Negative ion fragmentations of deprotonated peptides containing post-translational modifications: diphosphorylated systems containing Ser, Thr and Tyr . A characteristic phosphate/phosphate cyclisation. A joint experimental and theoretical study. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2009, 23, 1825-1833 ( I 3.0)
6. Hayley J. Andreazza, Tianfang Wang, Christopher Bagley, Peter Hoffmann and John H. Bowie. Negative ion fragmentations of deprotonated peptides. The unusual case of isoAsp: a joint experimental and theoretical study. Comparison with positive ion cleavages. Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom., 2009, 23(13):1993-2002, ( I 3.0)
7. Tomas Koudelka, Peter Hoffmann and John A. Carver. Dephosphorylation of αs- and β-Casein and its Effect on Chaperone Activity: a Structural and Functional Investigation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2009 Jul 8;57(13):5956-64, ( I 2.5)
8. Megan A. S. Penno, Matthias Ernst and Peter Hoffmann. Optimal preparation methods for automated MALDI-TOF MS profiling of low molecular weight proteins and peptides. Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom. 2009, 23:2656-2662,. ( I 3.0)
9. R.D. Lowe, G.E. Guild, P. Harpas, P. Kirkbride, P. Hoffmann, Nicolas H. Voelcker and Hilton Kobus. Rapid drug detection in oral samples by porous silicon assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2009; 23: 3543–3548 ( I 3.0)
10. K.M. Mrozik, P.S. Zilm, C.J. Bagley, S. Hack, P. Hoffmann, S. Gronthos, P. M. Bartold. Proteomic characterization of mesenchymal stem cell-like populations derived from ovine periodontal ligament, dental pulp and bone marrow: analysis of differentially expressed proteins. Stem Cells and Development. 2010, Oct;19(10):1485-99 ( I 3.3)
11. M.R. Condina, J.O.R. Gustafsson, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, C.J. Bagley, S.R. McColl and P. Hoffmann. EZYprep LC - coupled MALDI-TOF/TOF MS: An improved matrix spray application for phosphopeptide characterisation. Proteomics, 2010, 10, 2516-2530 ( I 5.5)
12. J.O.R. Gustafsson, M.K. Oehler, S.R. McColl, P. Hoffmann. Citric Acid Antigen Retrieval (CAAR) for tryptic peptide imaging directly on archived formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue. Journal of Proteome Research, 2010, Sep 3;9(9):4315-28 ( I 5.7)
13. A.D. Ogunniyi, L.K. Mahdi, M.P. Jennings, A.G. McEwan, C.A. McDevitt, M.B. Van der Hoek, C.J. Bagley, P. Hoffmann, K.A Gould and J.C. Paton. Central Role of Manganese in Regulation of Stress Responses, Physiology and Metabolism in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Journal of Bacteriology, 2010, Sep;192(17):4489-97 ( I 4.0)
14. R.-P. Scholz, J.O.R. Gustafsson, P. Hoffmann, M. Jaiswal , M.R. Ahmadian, S. Eisler, P. Erlmann, S. Schmid, A. Hausser and M.A. Olayioye. The tumor suppressor protein DLC1 is regulated by PKD-mediated GAP domain phosphorylation. Experimental Cell Research 2011, 317, (4), 496-503 (I 3.7)
15. K.Y.C. Fung, C. Cursaro, T. Lewanowitsch, G.V. Brierley, S.R. McColl, Trevor Lockett, Richard Head, Peter Hoffmann, Leah Cosgrove. A combined Free-flow electrophoresis and DIGE approach to identify proteins regulated by butyrate in HT29 cells. Proteomics. 2011, 11, 964-971 (I 5.0)
16. Fung KY, Brierley GV, Henderson S, Hoffmann P, McColl SR, Lockett T, Head R, Cosgrove L. Butyrate-induced apoptosis in HCT116 colorectal cancer cells includes induction of a cell stress response. Journal of Proteome Research, 2011, Apr 1;10(4):1860-9 (I 5.7)
17. K. Martin, C. Ricciardelli, P. Hoffmann and M.K. Oehler. Exploring the Immunoproteome for Ovarian Cancer Biomarker Discovery. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2011, 12(1), 410-428. (I 1.3)
18. J.O.R. Gustafsson, M.K. Oehler, A. Ruszkiewicz, S.R. McColl and P. Hoffmann. MALDI Imaging Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-IMS)-Application of Spatial Proteomics for Ovarian Cancer Classification and Diagnosis. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2011, 12(1), 773-794. (I 1.3)
19. Ween MP, Lokman NA, Hoffmann P, Rodgers RJ, Ricciardelli C & Oehler MK. Transforming growth factor-beta induced protein (TGFBIp) secreted by peritoneal cells increases the metastatic potential of ovarian cancer cells. International Journal of Cancer, 2011 Apr 1;128(7):1570-84 (I 4.7)
20. T.T.N. Tran, T. Wang, S. Hack, P. Hoffmann and J. H. Bowie. Can collision-induced negative-ion fragmentations of [M–H]–anions be used to identify phosphorylation sites in peptides? Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom.2011, 25, 3537–3548
21. G. Arentz, T. Chataway, M.R. Condina, T. Price, P. Hoffmann and J. Hardingham. Increased phospho-keratin 8 isoforms in colorectal tumors are associated with EGFR pathway activation and reduced apoptosis. ISRN Molecular Biology, Volume 2012, Article ID 706545, 8 pages
22. M.A.S. Penno, S.M. Colegate, W.P. Michalski, P. Hoffmann. Detection and measurement of carbohydrate deficient transferrin in serum using immuno-capture mass spectrometry: Diagnostic applications for annual ryegrass toxicity and corynetoxin exposure. Res Vet Sci. 2012, 93, 611–617
23. V.A. Kopetz, M.A.S. Penno, P.Hoffmann, D.P. Wilson, J.F. Beltrame. Potential mechanisms of the acute coronary syndrome presentation in patients with the coronary slow flow phenomenon - Insight from a plasma proteomic approach. Int J Cardiol.(I 6.8) 2012 Apr 5;156(1):84-91.
24. Sandow JJ, Jabbour AM, Condina MR, Daunt CP, Stomski FC, Green BD, Riffkin CD, Hoffmann P, Guthridge MA, Silke J, Lopez AF, Ekert PG. Cytokine receptor signaling activates an IKK dependent phosphorylation of PUMA to prevent cell death. Cell Death and Differentiation I(9.0). 2012 Apr;19(4):633-41.
25. Koudelka, T.; Dehle, F.; Musgrave, I.; Hoffmann, P., Carver, J. Methionine oxidation enhances κ-casein amyloid fibril formation" Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2012 Apr 25;60(16):4144-55
26. J.A. Brazzatti, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, S. Haylock-Jacobs, Y. Harata-Lee, M. Niu, M.D. Higgins, M. Kochetkova, P. Hoffmann, S.R. McColl. Differential roles for the P101 and P84 regulatory subunits of PI3K in tumor growth and metastasis. Oncogene. (I 7.4). 2012 May 3;31(18):2350-61
27. J.O.R. Gustafsson, J.S. Eddes, S. Meding, T. Koudelka, M.K. Oehler ,S.R. McColl, P. Hoffmann. Internal calibrants for high accuracy matching of tryptic peptide MALDI imaging features to peptides identified by LC-MS/MS. Journal of Proteomics, 2012 August 30; 75(16):5093-5105
28. M.A.S. Penno, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, J.A. Brazzatti, A. Boussioutas ,T. Putoczki, M. Ernst, P. Hoffmann. 2D-DIGE analysis of sera from transgenic mouse models reveals novel candidate protein biomarkers for human gastric cancer. Journal of Proteomics, 2012 Dec 21;77: 40-58
29. J.D. Evans, C.A. Hollis, S. Hack, A.S. Gentleman, P. Hoffmann, M.A. Buntine, and C.J. Sumby. Anion−π Interaction of Hexaarylradialenes. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 2012 Jul 19. [Epub ahead of print]
30. F. Weiland , K. Fritz , M.K. Oehler and P. Hoffmann. Methods for Identification of CA125 from Ovarian Cancer Ascites by High Resolution Mass Spectrometry. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2012, 13(8), 9942-9958
31. G. Stone, D. Clifford, JOR. Gustafsson, SR. McColl and P. Hoffmann. Visualisation in imaging mass spectrometry using the minimum noise fraction transform. BMC Research Notes 2012, 5:419
32. F. Weiland, K. Martin, MK. Oehler, P. Hoffmann. Deciphering the molecular nature of ovarian cancer biomarker CA125. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2012, 13(8):10568-82.
33. B. Sciacca, A. François, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, J. Brazzatti, M. Penno, P. Hoffmann, T.M. Monro. Radiative-Surface Plasmon Resonance for the detection of apolipoprotein E in medical diagnostics applications. Nanomed.-Nanotechnol. Biol. Med., 2013 May; 9(4):550-7 (I 7.6)
34. Meding S, Martin K, Gustafsson OJ, Eddes JS, Hack S, Oehler MK, Hoffmann P. Tryptic Peptide Reference Data Sets for MALDI Imaging Mass Spectrometry on Formalin-fixed Ovarian Cancer Tissues. J Proteome Res. 2013 Jan 4; 12(1):308-15.
35. O.J.R. Gustafsson, J.S. Eddes, S. Meding, S.R. McColl, M.K. Oehler, P. Hoffmann. MALDI imaging protocol for in situ characterization of tryptic peptide identity and distribution in formalin-fixed. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 2013 Mar 30;27(6):655-70
36. M. Niu, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, J.A. Brazzatti, B. Forbes, C. Akekawatchai, P. Hoffmann, S.R McColl. Comparative proteomic analysis implicates eEF2 as a novel target of PI3Kgamma in the MDA-MB-231 metastatic breast cancer cell line. Proteome Science 2013, 11:4
37. K. J. Rowland, A. François, P. Hoffmann, T.M. Monro. Fluorescent polymer coated capillaries as optofluidic refractometric sensors. Optics Express, 2013, 21 (9), 11492-11505
38. B. Sciacca, A. François, P. Hoffmann, T.M. Monro. Multiplexing of radiative-surface plasmon resonance for the detection of gastric cancer biomarkers in a single optical fiber. Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical, 2013, 183, 454-458
39. I. Alanazi, E. Ebrahimie, P. Hoffmann, DL. Adelson. Combined gene expression and proteomic analysis of EGF induced apoptosis in A431 cells suggests multiple pathways trigger apoptosis. Apoptosis Epub July 2013
40. N A. Lokman, ASF. Elder, MP. Ween, CE. Pyragius, P. Hoffmann, MK. Oehler and C. Ricciardelli. Annexin A2 is regulated by ovarian cancer-peritoneal cell interactions and promotes metastasis. Oncotarget, Epub July 14, 2013
41. Humphries JM, Penno MA, Weiland F, Klingler-Hoffmann M, Zuber A, Boussioutas A, Ernst M, Hoffmann P. Identification and validation of novel candidate protein biomarkers for the detection of human gastric cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Feb 7. [Epub ahead of print]
42. Weiland F., Zammit CM, Reith F, Hoffmann P. High resolution two-dimensional electrophoresis of native proteins. Electrophoresis. 2014 Mar 19. [Epub ahead of print]
43. Koch I., Hoffmann P., Marron J.S., Proteomics Profiles from Mass
Spectrometry, Electronic Journal of Statistics, accepted 05/2014.
44. Turvey M.E., Koudelka T., Comerford I, GreerJ., Carroll W., Bernard C.A., Hoffmann P. and McColl S.R., Quantitative proteome profiling of CNS-infiltrating autoreactive CD4+ cells reveals selective changes during experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Proteome Res., accepted 06/2014
45. Hughes PA, Moretta M, Lim A, Grasby DJ, Bird D, Brierley SM, Liebregts T, Adam B, Ashley Blackshaw L, Holtmann G, Bampton P, Hoffmann P, Andrews JM, Zola H, Krumbiegel D. Immune derived opioidergic inhibition of viscerosensory afferents is decreased in Irritable Bowel Syndrome patients. Brain Behav Immun. 2014, Nov; 42:191-203.
46. Gustafsson OJ, Arentz G, Hoffmann P, Proteomic developments in the analysis of formalin-fixed tissue. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Oct 11. pii: S1570-9639(14)00263-5. [Epub ahead of print]
47. Gustafsson OJ, Briggs MT, Condina MR, Winderbaum LJ, Pelzing M, McColl SR, Everest-Dass AV, Packer NH, Hoffmann P. MALDI imaging mass spectrometry of N-linked glycans released from formalin-fixed murine kidney. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2014 Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print]
48. Arentz G, Weiland F, Hoffmann P. State of the art of 2D DIGE. Proteomics Clinical Applications, 2014 Nov 15 [Epub ahead of print]
49. Bui L, Hoffmann P, Turnidge JD, Zilm PS, Kidd SP. Prolonged growth of a clinical Staphylococcus aureus strain selects for a stable Small Colony Variant cell-type. Infection and Immunity, 2015 Feb;83(2):470-81.
50. Turvey, M.E., M. Klingler-Hoffmann, P. Hoffmann and S.R. McColl. 2015. The p84 adaptor forms a negative regulatory complex with p110γ to control PI3Kγ signalling. Immunol Cell Biol, in press. Accepted for publication February 18, 2015
51. I. Alanazi, P. Hoffmann, D.L. Adelson. MicroRNAs are part of the regulatory network that controls EGF induced apoptosis, including elements of the JAK/STAT pathway, in A431 cells. PLOS ONE, accepted for publication February 14, 2015
52. Ricciardelli C., Lokman N.A, Cheruvu S., Tan I.A., Ween M.P., C.E., Ruszkiewicz R., Hoffmann P, and Oehler M.K., Transketolase is upregulated in metastatic peritoneal implants and promotes ovarian cancer cell proliferation. Clinical & Experimental Metastasis. 2015 Jun; 32(5):441-55.
53. Winderbaum L.J., Koch I., Gustafsson O.J.R., Meding S., Hoffmann P. FEATURE EXTRACTION FOR PROTEOMICS IMAGING MASS SPECTROMETRY DATA. The Annals of Applied Statistics. 2015, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1973–1996.
54. P. Mittal, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, G. Arentz, C. Zhang, G. Kaur, M.K. Oehler, P. Hoffmann. Proteomics of endometrial cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis. Proteomics Clinical Applications, Nov 6. 2015, doi: 10.1002/prca. 201500055. [Epub ahead of print]
55. E. Klantsataya, A. François, H. Ebendorff-Heidepriem, P. Hoffmann and T. Monro. Surface Plasmon Scattering in Exposed Core Optical Fiber for Enhanced Resolution Refractive Index Sensing. Sensors, 2015 Sep 29;15(10):25090-102
56. M.E. Turvey, F. Weiland, J. Meneses, N. Sterenberg, P. Hoffmann. Identification of beer spoilage microorganisms using the MALDI Biotyper platform. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 2016 Mar;100(6):2761-73
57. K.O. Schubert, F. Weiland, B.T. Baune, P. Hoffmann. The Use of MALDI-MSI in the Investigation of Psychiatric and Neurodegenerative Disorders: A review. Proteomics, Accepted February 2016
58. T. Reynolds, A. François, N. Riesen, M.E. Turvey, S.J. Nicholls, Peter Hoffmann and Tanya M. Monro. A dynamic self-referencing approach to whispering gallery mode biosensing and its application to measurement within undiluted serum. Analytical Chemistry, Accepted February 2016
59. P. Mittal, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, G. Arentz, L. Winderbaum, N.A. Lokman, C. Zhang, L. Anderson, J. Scurry, Y. Leung, C.JR. Stewart, J. Carter, G. Kaur, M.K. Oehler, P. Hoffmann. MALDI Imaging of primary endometrial cancers reveals proteins associated with lymph node metastasis. Proteomics, Accepted March 2016
1. M. Condina, M. Klingler-Hoffmann, P. Hoffmann. Tyrosine phosphorylation enrichment and subsequent analysis by MALDI-TOF/TOF MS/MS and LC-ESI-IT-MS/MS, Curr. Protoc. Protein Sci., 2010 62: 13.11.1-13.11.26
2. Y.Y. Ho, M.A.S Penno, M. Perugini, I. Lewis and P. Hoffmann. Evaluating the efficacy of subcellular fractionation using live cell labeling and 2D-DIGE. Methods Mol Biol. 2012; 854: 319-32.
3. M.A.S. Penno, M. Ernst, P. Hoffmann. Comparative 2D DIGE Analysis of the Depleted Serum Proteome for Biomarker Discovery. Methods Mol Biol. 2012; 854: 207-20
4. K.Y.C. Fung, C. Cursaro, T. Lewanowitsch, L. Cosgrove and P. Hoffmann. A Combined Free Flow Electrophoresis and DIGE Approach to compare proteins in Complex Biological Samples. Methods Mol Biol. 2012, 869:135-46
Refereed Conference Papers:
1. K.J. Rowland, A. François, P. Hoffmann, T.M. Monro, “Sub-wavelength fluorescent polymer coatings to convert standard glass capillaries into robust microfluidic refractometric sensors”, SPIE Photonics West, BIOS, San Francisco, USA, February 2013, Oral presentation, paper 8570-17
2. B. Sciacca, A. François, M.A.S. Penno, J.A. Brazzatti, M. Klinger-Hoffmann, P. Hoffmann, T.M. Monro, “Radiative-SPR platform for the detection of apolipoprotein E for use in medical diagnostics”, SPIE Biomedical Optics and Biophotonics Conference (SPIE BiOS), San Francisco, USA, January 2012, paper 82340R-1 (invited), http://www.ict-chron.eu/Content/Events.aspx?id=26&source=rss
3. A. François, J. Boehm, M. Penno, P. Hoffmann, T.M. Monro, “A novel optical-fiber based surface plasmon resonance sensing architecture and its application to gastric cancer diagnostics”, International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors (OFS-21), Ottawa, Canada, May 2011, paper 77536Y
4. Monro TM, Ruan Y, Ebendorff-Heidepriem H, Foo H, Hoffmann P, Moore RC. Antibody immobilization within glass microstructured fibers: A route to sensitive and selective biosensors. International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors (OFS), Perth, Australia, April 2008 (highest ranked postdeadline paper), paper 70046Q-1.
5. Schartner EP, Ruan Y, Hoffmann P, Monro TM. An optical fibre protein sensor. Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (ACOFT), Melbourne, Australia, June 2007, DOI: 10.1109/COINACOFT.2007.4519100.